Sunday, March 17, 2013

Johnston Adventures in CIO #2: Discoveries & Baby Steps


~ So the routine continues… Read books or should I say read the same book… Time for Bed (I Highly Reccomend it!!), it’s crazy but I do have it memorized and I can read it in the dark (& yes I’ve read it to Noah in the dark after having to change his diaper) lay Noah down pat his back, & leave the room. We have discovered that despite all this time some things haven’t changed  sense before Christmas, if he cries longer than 15 minutes it means he has pooped!! It almost seems like he cries so hard it causes the poop. Once he’s changed he falls asleep.

~ The other day I let Noah Cry and Cry and Cry for his nap, it was exhaustingly painful so I went in laid him down, patted his back and within 3 minutes he was asleep. After this I felt extremely discouraged, kept thinking ugh he just got his way, he won this battle. Then I got to thinking when I was a teacher I would spend the good portion of rest time patting little kids backs to help them fall asleep and for much longer than 3 min. So why can’t I pat Noah’s back?? (It may not be the "right" way to think but I felt better so I'm going with it!!!)

~ Night time progress is that Noah is weaned from ALL night time feedings, but he still wakes up 1-2 times a night and thus the back patting happens only if he wakes up so much that he is standing in his crib.   

We are progressing with baby steps… Process vs. Product is the catch phrase in Early Childhood Education, but sometimes, while the process is "More important" then the product, the products can sure be sweet!! I would like to think that in this "process" my child is learning, independece, parents are in charge, parents will provide comfort. But let's be serious it's just sleep!!! 
I look forward to the product of these baby steps we are taking; just ONE FULL NIGHTS sleep! Maybe tonight will be the night!
 
Counting my Blessings...
1. A weekend catching up with old friends!
2. Game night with the kids... Playing Candy Land with Sadie is quite the experience... The little figures not only move along the game board path, but they talk, dance, and cry!!!
3. Sunny days... and daylight savings!!
4. Duck Dynasty it makes me laugh!
5. The amount of work I can get done in the time Noah Naps...
 

No comments: